Sunday, January 20, 2019

Lenny’s Monologue

Lennies Monologue Its them sycamores I remember. An the river, runnin deep and green, chink jus identical the way aunty Claras house keys used to when she was bulge on the porch about to unlock the front door. Id incubate my mouse in my pocket wheneer I heard them jinglin keys, because Aunt Clara neer equivalentd em rodents hangin around her house. I was a smart boy, I really was. I see the clearing an I fare Ive found it, Ive found the safe spot. Georgell germ get me here before the water turns black and the sun goes down, hes always been better at directions than me, plus hes got an ol compass nicked from a farmer back in Weed.Maybe someday Georgell take it to me. only when not soon, he own(prenominal)t going to memorise me no compass because he gonna be mad when he finds me. The supply is sticking into me exchangeable Im wrapped up in barbed wire. If only I was in a softer shrub, a bush made of hair maybe. Like her hair, the girl back at the ranch. She should nurtur e it out and make a blanket for me, like Aunt Clara did with sheep wool. how constantly I hit the hay it own(prenominal)t gonna happen because hair founding fathert grow on people who dont breathe. But I didnt mean to do it I jus desireed to get hold of it, I jus regarded to pet it like I pet my mice.I jus want to pet my mice. The river let off tinkles like em keys, an I feel like I should hide my mouse, barely I cant this time. I cant find me my mouse because shes back at the ranch. Shes back in that respect lying on the hay like one o those torn up beanie-dolls, the beans spillin outta her, prolly makin a mess o the barn. You werent so smart this time, Lenny, Aunt Clara couldnt catch you only Georgell. George is cleverer than Aunt Clara, oh, George is cleverer than eachone. Soon he gonna come crashin inta here an he gonna take in me hell over an over.He coulda had it so easy without me, he coulda gotten a victorian lil place, maybe even a girl. I could go, I coulda g one any time. George, he dont train me like I need him, why, he don need me at all. Here George comes, an he aint yellin, why aint he yellin? I like him yellin because thats the only time he tells stories not even at night when I ask him to, jus when hes yellin. I know George. I know he can make me feel as worthless as an empty can o tuna sometimes, but ever time hell tell me he needs me he gonna tell me that I need him, and he needs me.An in the end, he does, he does need me because Im the only one who gives a hoot in hell about im. Thas just Lenny, you aint useless, George needs you. He says hes not mad, he wants you to know that he aint ever been mad bout you. He aint lettin you leave him because we gonna get a little place. He says well have a cow, pigs and chickens, an he hadnt forget about the alfalfa for my rabbits Oh, I can see it now, I can see it right across the river George promises that everbody gonna be nice to me. There aint gonna be no more trouble, oh, George, ca n we go there now.I jus dont want no more trouble. I jus want it to be me and him, him and me, George and Lenny, Lenny and George, the way it always is. An Ill work harder than I ever worked before, I promise. Why, Ill work all day and all night, an Ill have the strength because well have all the bread and milk we want. nil gonna kick us out because it gonna be OUR ranch. Guys like us got no fambly. They usually make a little stake an then they lay waste to it in. They aint got nobody in the worl that gives a hoot in hell about em.But not us. Because I got you, George, an you got me. Messages from the book 1. The Great feeling made life REALLY hard. 2. The American Dream is still what propels everyone forward, in the book its George and Lennies vision of their own ranch. 3. Racism is still prominent. 4. Sexism is also still prominent. 5. It is called Of Mice and Men because in the Great Depression there is nothing difference between mice and men, everything is all equally fragile , that everyone is in the aforementioned(prenominal) boat, making us feel for these characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment